Automotive & HD Business Management Articles.
Bob Greenwood. February 1, 2018. ( over 1 year ago ) 221 views
MOTOR AGE MAGAZINE FEBRUARY 2018
PERHAPS IT IS TIME TO SHOW THEM!!
This particular article is addressed to all the progressive Independent shops in the country.
Over the past five years many Independents, throughout the country, have refocused their efforts to become better business people and entered the mission to move their business to the next level. These shops are to be congratulated, and a huge thankyou from the rest of the industry for your efforts.
The word to you now is “don’t stop here.” As a progressive shop owner/manager you have a larger responsibility to yourself, your team and the industry, than you may think. Consider the following;
- traditionally Independent shop owners attend courses sponsored by their supplier or WD and leave the course “semi-focussed” in that they understood the message but were fuzzy what to do with their new knowledge for their particular outlet. These shop owners represent about 80% of the participants attending these courses.
- the most progressive shop owners represent the remainder 20% of these participants
- the top 20% take the information, review and study it to fully understand the detail and then apply it to their particular shop understanding the proper time frame to expect results, but more importantly, they remain focussed to see their mission to the end. They learned to change only 2 things at a time as they now realize many changes such as 5 or 6 all at once will cause an implosion in the business as the staff try to grasp what is going on.
- the remainder of the industry get lost in the forest, working “in” the business and end up confronting their biggest nemeses in their business, namely, a total lack of self-discipline to execute.
- consider that it is this lack of self-discipline that people throughout our industry fail to recognize as the root cause as to “why” an Independent Shop Owner/Manager does not move their business to the next level, or become the very best they could be.
The question must arise to the most progressive shop owners, “well how does this affect me?”
It affects you very dramatically, and it shows up on YOUR bottom line called “Net Profit”.
The weaker shops within our industry keep “dragging down” our overall image the consumer has of us. Consider the image projected of our industry on past “investigative type” TV programs aired where set up ghost cars were taken to various shops across the country. This format is unfair, and we all acknowledge that, however, it leaves one heck of a perception in the consumers mind, and it is not good!
It is time the strong Independents became more prominent in the consumers mind. It is time the stronger Independents became more prominent to their own peers perhaps challenging them, through leading by example, to come up to the next level. Why? Because the good in our industry are great, and because when the Independent is focussed they are the best and that is the image the consumer must come to see.
Top shops within our country lead the Industry in “how business should be, and must be done today to sustain our business and succeed in our future.”
These types of shops must challenge the entire industry to join them. Ladies and gentlemen, our Industry must embrace these owners and move to their level with them. Don’t ignore them saying there isn’t enough of them; let’s all work together and bring as many shops to this level as possible. Our Independent future depends on it.